Good Teaching Books For Beginners

Books suitable for teachers
Wayne

Good Teaching Books For Beginners

Post by Wayne » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:02 pm

These are the books I usually recommend for beginners.

Origami Kit For Dummies by Nick Robinson published Wiley 2008 ISBN 978-0-470-75857-1
Still in print and easily the best all round book to introduce people to origami. Comes complete with paper and will last beyond the beginner stage. Accessible and interesting at all levels.

Origami - A Complete Step-By Step Guide by Paul Jackson published Hamlyn 1989
ISBN 0-600-56548-3 (also available as The Complete Origami Course Gallery Books 0-831-727-926 & Origami
A Complete Step-by-Step Guide Chancellor Press 1-85152-748-6)
Now out of print but still available from Amazon. Most of Paul's origami books are good for beginers but this wonderful book is an especially good introduction with it's emphasis on good folding technique right from the start.

Origami Basics by Nick Robinson published Quarto Publishing 2008 ISBN 978-981-275-021-1 (also available as Picture Perfect Origami St. Martin's Press 978-0-31237-596-6)
Like Paul Jackson above most of Nick's books are good for beginers but this is especially good and still in print.

Teach Yourself Origami by Robert Harbin published Hodder & Stoughton 1992 ISBN 920-340-56527-6 (also available as Teach Yourself Get Started with Origami 978-1-4441-0376-2, Origami A Teach Yourself Guide 0-340-16646-0 and a number of other variations).
My first origami book when published as Origami The Art of Paperfolding Hodder 1971 ISBN 0-340-10902-5 and still useful despite it's early publication date.

Of course many other books are available and their value as an introduction to origami differs. Although some of the books listed above are out of print many are available to buy second-hand form the internet, charity shops, library sales and second-hand bookshops.
I make a habit, like many other folders, of searching these venues for origami books buying cheaper duplicates which I will give away to especially interested attendess of origami teaching sessions I hold. Most origami books can be borrowed from libraries both public and origami society libraries.
Wayne Brown

Joan Sallas

Re: Good Teaching Books For Beginners

Post by Joan Sallas » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:48 pm

In the past, mainly before 1945, were published in many languages folding books and didactic material oriented to folding teachers, under a big influence of the Froebel followers pedagogik. Somebody know an actual good book with didactic orientations for school teachers (not for folder that teach a model), to help them to discover their own solutions?

himanshu

Post by himanshu » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:04 pm

I would like to add Teach Yourself Origami by John Montroll. He takes the reader from basics to high-intermediate through this book. I have used it, successfully, with my students.

Nowadays, with everything being spoon-fed through YouTube videos, newcomers have very limited idea about the basic folds, bases and reading diagrams. So, I feel that Ori-teachers should focus on these areas with beginners to facilitate a good foundation.

Edwin Corrie

Post by Edwin Corrie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:16 pm

I agree that most of Nick's books are great for beginners because they give a nice overview of origami and encourage people to experiment, as well as containing good models that are satisfying to do and not always found elsewhere. Paul Jackson's books are also good for the same reason.

One that is not mentioned a lot is Kasahara's "Creative Origami" (http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Origami- ... 518&sr=8-1), which has an interesting chapter at the end on how to create new models.