Tess Framing, how do you do yours?

What to teach and how to display them
BRDParker

Tess Framing, how do you do yours?

Post by BRDParker » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:15 pm

Recently, I've been getting into framing my tessellations, so I've had to do some research about the best/cheaper/easier places to get this done. Not having the greatest amount of income at the moment, the speed of experimentation is sluggish at best, and I feel that there are many other tessellators in the same position and could benefit from others' framing experiences.

Also as framing goes, tesses are a weird species, since the width can range from almost completely flat to up to 3" thick (or thicker), and I've had a tough time finding (for example) Nielsen frames with a large enough rabbit space for some of the thicker pieces.

If you have done some framing, where do you get yours done?
If you have backlit frames, (like Ralchizar http://www.flickr.com/photos/40548981@N ... hotostream), what process do you use, materials, etc?
Do you know on an online company that sells frames with larger width than usual?
Do you tend to prefer metal or wood frames for these purposes?

For my own purposes, I generally get the metal frames done at americanframe.com, which is relatively cheap and free shipping over $50. For craft shows and the ilk, I get transparent stands for around the $5 area at Michaels.

ahudson

Re: Tess Framing, how do you do yours?

Post by ahudson » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:20 pm

Something I'd be interested in trying is a two-way frame that would allow both sides of the tessellation to be viewed. But after some playing around, I realized that conventional frames don't work like that and I'll have to build my own.

Any ideas for where I might find information about building frames? It can't be that hard... I'm just wondering what the most stable methods are.

Tavin

Re: Tess Framing, how do you do yours?

Post by Tavin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:56 pm

During the Origami Meeting in Freising 2011 I sa wseveral people using strong magnets (nerdym or something) to present their art, that might be an option for you